Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Well, that took longer than expected

So it's been a while since I posted anything. It's not that I've had nothing to blog about--quite the opposite actually. I've just not had the time to spend here on the interwebs. I still love you all, I've just not been able to show it. The good news is, I'm back.

Last month, in what is no doubt a precursor to future events, the twins decided to play with Mommy's sciatic nerve. They did not play nice. The end result was a very long week of totally immobile wife. I'll spare you the gritty details, but suffice to say I had to help her with everything. EVERYTHING.

I still managed to get the garden in and keep it happy. We've gotten some rain this year, and that's helped quite a bit. It's almost time to start trellising the squash and cucumbers:


During all of this, I also began a new job; my first real 'Grownup' job. As of April 2nd, I am the new Grant Coordinator for Child Advocates of San Antonio. I don't typically like to mix business with pleasure (that's a total lie) but I'm going to take a moment to say that if you ever wanted a wonderful cause to support, the CASA programs (there's likely one near you) are about as good as they come. Essentially they provide a single neutral party to watch over children who have entered State Child Welfare programs (due to abuse or neglect) and ensure that the children receive the medical, social, psychological, and just plain human contact that they deserve. Check out the national CASA site for more details: http://www.casaforchildren.org/.

The good news about all of this: I had to buy some new clothes. And, of course, nothing fits me well off the rack. So back to the sewing machine I go! I'm mid-way though my attempt to make a "Perfect Fitting Shirt" (which I intend to cut apart and turn into a pattern), and I have a self-drafted trouser pattern laying around here somewhere than needs proofing. Good thing I work a regular 9-5 now (with no weekends), I'll finally have time to finish this stuff.

Tune in next time (I promise it will be soon, I'm already 80% finished) when I face off with this shirt:

Until then, feel free to share horror stories about being pregnant. I have nothing to work with, seeing as how I'm short on necessary equipment, and my wife is getting tired of getting blind-sided by all the-things-they-don't-tell-you-about-being-pregnant. Show us some love ladies, and gents I'm always open to tips on how to deal with these crazy hormones. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel for your wife - I was on hospital bed rest for the last month of my first pregnancy and nearly lost my mind with boredom. You can take your pick from pregnancy horror stories: placenta praevia, transverse baby, blood transfusion.... It's all worth it in the end though!
    Oh yes, I nominated you for a blog award back in February but forgot to let you know (ahem, sorry about that) http://handmadejane.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/bring-me-sunshine.html
    Good luck with the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle--Are you ever in the market for men's patterns? I think I have some that I may not need. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be super cool Julie! I have basically no patterns for myself, and there are scarce few around these parts (even new).

      Delete